What is a Boil Water Advisory?
If water is potentially unsafe to drink, the City of Alexandria will issue a precautionary boil water advisory. This announcement advises residents to boil tap water before drinking. An advisory usually lasts at least 24 hours as that’s how long it takes to test the water. The city will inform you when the boil advisory is lifted.
What Do I Need To Do During a Boil Water Advisory?
Don't consume tap water
Take care cleaning
Be careful bathing
Boil water safely
- Heat water until large bubbles come from the bottom to the top of the pot.
- Let the water boil for at least 1 minute.
- Turn off the stove and let the water cool.
- Store the water in a clean container with a cover.
- Add a pinch of salt and shake to improve the taste.
Boil Water Advisory Announcements
After The Boil Water Advisory
Run all cold water faucets for at least 5 minutes.
Flush ice makers by making and getting rid of 3 batches of ice.
Drain and refill hot water heaters if the heater was set below 113° F.